Tuesday, December 29, 2015

a better me

It's probably been at least 10 years since "getting out there".

No, not in the sense of dating but meeting new people, friends, other women.

I mention women specifically only because while I worked at MM I met a lot of new people but 99% of them were men, older men. Not the good looking, rich kind either...

I digress.

I was comfortably stuck in my rut of being around and socializing with men. And boy are they entertaining, anti social and often very dramatic. They are just like women just not as critical of each other. Ha.

I promise, this is not a post about men.

Again, I digress.

As you all know, since leaving MM I have had the opportunity to meet other moms and become involved with the PTSA and they are 99% women and my age. You'd think that would be a nice change and in a lot of ways it is but yet so much the same. Happily the topics of conversations have changed and there is a lot less cursing. In turn I have met a few really great women, moms. Theres a couple that stand out, they are amazing people.

Without sounding creepy and stalkerish, even though it will, I want to be around them. I want Antonio to be around their kids; I want to be in their lives and vice versa. Being around them makes me want to be a better women, mom, wife and friend.

Ok, yup. That sounded weird. But these women are amazingly strong women who appear to have it all. Even when they claim to be going crazy they still appear to have it all together.

It's almost like working at MM made me care less about myself in the sense, I only half cared about how I looked and what people thought of me. With the lack of appreciation, especially at the end, made me only want to put in half the effort. The people around me were either mostly twice my age, drunk (yes, a lot of guys came in clearly intoxicated all while trying to act normal), high or weren't worth my energy. Sounds depressing, yes but for the most part I loved these guys. It made that part of the job less stressful. I had zero "competition". :)

Now being around other women, I care more about my appearance and how I present myself.  These couple women, without knowing it, have influenced me to want to be a better version of myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment