Sunday, December 27, 2015

Birthdays

Some call us December birthdays.

Others call us Christmas birthdays. Either way sucks.

When I was younger having a birthday two days after Christmas, yes, TWO DAYS, sucked because most people would casually "forget" my birthday and lump them together to just give me one gift. As a kid that really sucked. Some people would be great about it and gave me gifts for both, thank you and my younger self really thanks you for that! :)

When I was in Jr. High and High School, maybe even earlier, I asked my mom if we could celebrate my birthday in June for my half birthday. Surprisingly she was ok with that. Then she told me I'd have to skip a birthday and wait until June came around to celebrate. I knew there would be a catch. So of course when it came time to "skip" my birthday, I wanted no part of it. It was fun to celebrate with friends with all the festivities still going and everything still on and decorated for Christmas. I remember going to Seattle and going ice skating at Seattle Center a few different years. It was always the same core group of friends and they knew my birthday was right after Christmas so it was already planned that they would be around. It also helped none of us ever went away for the holidays.

Then I got a little older and didn't need all the gifts but appreciated the option of one big gift.  Now, as I am older I dread it for a few reasons.

One. I am getting older...

Two. When people ask what I'd like for my birthday, I just don't know. It's hard enough to come up with ideas for Christmas but then to be asked for my birthday right away, I just don't know.

And three. What would I like to do for my birthday? I'm tired, I don't necessarily want to do anything. Maybe just stay in my pjs and get takeout. Ha! As an introvert who also struggles with anxiety I don't want to have to be "on" any more. Two straight days of going and being "on" is hard enough. Come to me and bring the love, and takeout (and wine). But know I may be in my pjs or cozy clothes and not ready or wanting to go anywhere.

With my Mom being over here (Mill Creek) now she asked if we'd like to go to their house for my birthday. It is nice to not have to clean up for them to come here but having to go there, or anywhere isn't on top of my list. And with the Seahawks playing, let me just lay on the couch and stare at the TV. Or something similar. Happily, my mom said we could come before the game started and said it was ok to come in our pjs. Yay! And I did just that, well my fat pants and cozy top. :) A plus of not staying home was that my mess of a house wasn't staring at me all day! Too bad the Seahawks lost, but happily it started to snow late afternoon through when we left tonight! No, nothing sticking really but fun to see.

Happy birthday to all of you December/Christmas birthday babies! The struggle is real, isn't it?! Ha. Thank you to all of you who took the time to send birthday wishes, I so appreciate them and you.

No comments:

Post a Comment